Saturday, June 24, 2006

Draft Day

So the Jackets picked up Derick Brassard with the 6th overall. Admittedly, I don't know a heck of a lot about the kid. Though he did put up 44 goals and 116 points in 58 games in the Q this year. Not bad, but scoring usually isn't a real problem in the Q. But, as I said before, I know very little about the kid. Hopefully I can hit rookie camp next week and get a look.

In the second round, the Jackets apparently traded the 36th pick away to St. Joe, but I can't find what we got in return. I'm guessing picks of some nature, because nhl.com and TSN have nothing about it. Of course Metro is down, and hfboards is slllooowww, so can't find anything on it. Guess I'll just wait for the Dispatch in the morning.

One other draft comment...WTF was Minnesota thinking? They traded a first round pick AND Patrick O'Sullivan to LA for Pavol Demitra? OK, Demitra is a scorer, no doubt about that and the Wild need somebody who can play offense. But the Roloson trade is now Roloson and O'Sullivan for Demitra...seems a bit lopsided, and not in Minny's favor. O'Sullivan was almost a shoe-in to make the Wild this year, he just led the AHL in scoring. Obviously he wouldn't have put up Demitra numbers, but the kid was looking good. We'll see how it turns out...wonder how Demitra will take to playing defense first, second, and third?

No comments: